Horror Film Festival


The day I'd been waiting weeks for was finally here. Sunday morning I was up and about, slapping on my make up at 7:30 getting ready to go to our first horror film festival, Grimmfest. The event was held at The Printworks in Manchester which took us about an hour to drive to. The parking cost £5.50 for 24hrs and was only about a 5 minute walk away from the cinema. Stalls were set up selling t-shirts, dvds, posters, etc. 


The nice people from SHUDDER (which is a new horror streaming service) were giving away t shirts for signing up. Anders did and when they asked if I wanted to as well I explained that I'd already done it online so they gave me one as well.
The first film was being shown at 10:20 and to be honest I wasn't particularly fussed if we got there on time or not because it didn't look like my kind of thing. 



The film was called Darling and I'm so glad we did get there early enough to view it because it turned out to be both mine and Anders' favourite film of the day. 
 Beyond The Gates was the next to be shown but this one we missed because we nipped out to get some food.
Tonight She Comes was the next that we saw and then we stuck around for the Q & A after the film with the director, Matt Stuertz. Anders really liked the music score for this as it reminded him of 1980's horror films.
This was followed by The Rezort, a British zombie film. The director, Steve Barker and writer, Paul Gerstenberger were present after for a Q & A session. (We didn't stay for this, not because we didn't want to hear what they had to say but after staying for one Q & A session found that we then only had about 15 minutes at the most for drinks, toilet breaks, etc before back in the cinema to find seats again. The organiser did say that it was a jam packed day to get everything in)
Villmark Asylum, a Norwegian film was the next to be shown. I love foreign horror films so I was looking forward to this one.
The Rift was the last film of the day (I had sore eyes and a bit of bum ache at this point) followed by a live Skype Q & A with Ken Foree.
We were also treated to an unofficial trailer for Habit, a British horror set in Manchester. From what I saw I can't wait to watch this one after it's release.
The organisers were having a bit of an after party and said everyone was quite welcome to join them which I thought was very good of them(out of the question for us though due to travelling home)
We arrived home around 11:30 and ordered a pizza before everywhere began to close for the night. I think that  Anders surprised himself by managing to sit through so many films as he can be quite fidgety but we've both said how we definitely want to go to next year's Grimmfest, maybe bringing our eldest boy along too.




No comments